My grandma is turning 93 on Friday.
93 is nothing to shake a stick at and each year, either for Christmas or her birthday, I try to make it memorable. I love to make her laugh and she’s admitted on several occasions that she’s never quite sure what will come from me. (And I’ve given her a lot of off the wall stuff.)
We kid her alot about men.
Tonight, the hubs and I took a trip to Joann’s. I dropped my rotary cutter the other day and dinged the blade (it was a brand new blade too!) and those things aren’t cheap. Today, they were buy one get one free. Perfect! One for today to replace the one I broke and one for the hubs to put in my stocking!
While there, we picked out the fabric for the Christmas placemats. (Never mind that I’ve yet to finish the Halloween/Fall placemats and we have guests for dinner Thursday. In my defense, I told him that they might be finished by NEXT Christmas!)
All of a sudden, he and I saw the same fabric at the same time. It was half naked men dressed up in Elf and Santa suits and popping out of chimneys. We both, at the same time, said, “Mamaw!”
And so we bought it along with some Maxine fabric to be used for the other side… you know, in case the half naked men get old.
We came home, I changed out my rotary cutter blade and got to work! I made her four placemats for her table.
I am so excited and can’t WAIT to give them to her on Friday!
Now.. tonight I’m grateful for so many things…
- that my hubs and I both have the same quirky brain
- that he brought my sewing machine (and table) upstairs so that I could watch TV and not have to sit in the cold sewing garage to make these
- that my grandma appreciates my sense of humor (at least she always has in the past)
- 20% off coupons at Joann’s
- and the fact that they will let you use more than one coupon! WOOT!
- that the placemats came together easily and that I have a little motivation to sew up the Halloween/Fall ones (they are cut and pinned… they just need sewn!
How about you? Have any weird gift giving stories? Let’s hear them!
Until next time…