Thanksgiving is a big deal at the house of chaos.
And I cook.
I know. This shocks you. But I make a MEAN turkey.
I wouldn’t say that we go all out for Thanksgiving because our menu looks like this…
- turkey (stuffed with home made stuffing)
- stuffing (the store bought kind)
- green bean casserole
- green beans (because ONE child doesn’t like the casserole)
- macaroni and cheese
- sweet potato casserole
- nana corn (because nana brings it)
- cranberry sauce (from a can, because my mom likes it)
- Sister Shubert’s rolls (that until last week I thought were called Sister Shusters)
- dessert (this year my mom’s bringing the pies… but I might have promised Thing 3 a pumpkin roll and the hubs a pumpkin cheesecake)
It’s not hard. The recipes are in my head, on the back of the can, or it’s not something that requires any directions.
And? We don’t use fancy plates. For one, because I don’t have any. Two, even if I did, I don’t have place settings for 16, and three?
Who wants to do all those dishes?
And so the Fourth Annual Family Turkey Stuffing and Christmas Light Kickoff will happen again this year… as it has every year since we got married. My parents and grandmother, his parents, his sister and her family, the neighbor and anyone else who doesn’t have a place to go for the holidays. We’ve had up to 23. This year I think we’re at 16…
Please don’t think our house is that big…
After dinner, we’ll all go outside in the yard as
Clark Griswold the hubs kicks off his spectacular display of lights.
And it’s tradition.
And it’s great.
And no one will care that I don’t have fancy smanchy foodie recipes.
What are your Thanksgiving traditions?
Until next time…